Sunday, January 14, 2007

Ni Hao

After some intense pressure from certain parties who will remain unnamed, I decided to give an update to my great Chinese Adventure.
After a wretched run in with the people of Fed Ex which ended in me going to the Fed Ex facility to pick up my Visa just hours before I left for the airport, I boarded a plane bound for China. It was a really easy 13 hour flight and I felt very calm about the whole moving to China thing throughout all of my preparations and during the whole flight until we started our decent into Beijing. Then this horrific feeling of "What have I done?" came over me and lasted until we landed and I started busying myself with finding my luggage, exchanging money and and figuring out how to find a taxi. The taxi cab driver told me that he knew the address when we were in the airport but as we got onto the highway he admitted that he didn't know where he was going. He asked several people on the road for help and finally delivered me to Steve and Chelsea's apartment and the very far north end of Beijing.
Steve and Chelsea, being true Canadians and all, are the kindest and most awesome hosts in the world. They took me to go see the kids at their school and then after work on Friday they took me to the markets. The markets are huge building filled with little stalls were English speaking Chinese girls sell cheap knock offs of purses, wallets, shoes, clothes, watches etc. They also sell jewelry very cheap but you have to bargain with them for everything and let's just say that blue eyes add another 50 yuan to every price.
I love Beijing! It is a lot like New York City; lots of people, lots of pollution, tall buildings, congestion, lights, constant motion etc. I feel very comfortable here.
I went to church on Sunday and there were about 200 members in the Beijing branch. All of them are Expats from the US with just a couple of exceptions. Most families are either very young like one or two babies, or very old, like retired and all their kids are gone. The branch feels EXACTLY like any ward you would go to in Utah or California or wherever. Great leaders, great lessons, sound doctrine, and great music.
I spent all week last week looking for a job on the internet and interviewing at like six different places. I was offered a job everywhere that I interviewed but none of them actually offered what they advertised. There is a lot of false advertising here. So I continued the search. During that week I learned several new Chinese expressions, became familiar with subway and taxi systems here and ate some GREAT Chinese food.
The pictures below were taken on Saturday. Chelsea and I went to the market in search of some jewelry and we bought a sweet potato on the way. Nobody has ovens here but there are guys that ride their bikes down the street with oil cans strapped to the back filled with cooking sweet potatoes and hot rocks and coal. They are so good and sweet. So one is me eating a sweet potato by a street musician. The other one is at an outdoor market where lots of Chinese people from the countryside come in to sell their junk claiming that they are valuable Chinese antiques.
I am leaving Monday morning to go to a small town about 5 hours Northeast of Beijing to teach English during the Spring Festival. It is freezing there and it is real rural China so I will write more from there.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Jessica you look and sound like you are having fun. I actually feel slightly tempted to come visit you there. This feeling will probably pass though, cause who would ever what to go to China.

Alicia said...

I have been terrified at the idea of you going to China and actually quite confused at why you would want to - until now. It sounds so exciting to be there. What a fascinating place. I'm actually even more excited for you that you get to go to "rural" China. You will experience REAL China! That is very cool. Keep posting about your days there.

In honor of your adventure, I am reading "The Good Earth" and Brie and I ate canned mandarine oranges tonight that came from China.

Have a great time. Be safe.

Soo said...

it looks like china town.

you should've just moved to the china town in U.S. than going there. JK!

I am glad to know that you are having fun and enjoying your life there even though there will be many unexpected things happening.
But i know you can handle it.

well.. keep on updating your blog.

Teresa said...

Yeah! OK, I really read this like the day you posted it, because I had been waiting and watching, but I am not commenting until now. It is great to hear a little of your first impression. It sounds like a wonderful experience for you, just not one that I would EVER want to have, but you know me, I am a whimp. Tell us more!!