Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What ever happened to an Apple for the teacher?

So we all remember my student from the Ivory Coast. She is this beautiful little black girl who speaks French and follows me around. Today she shows up to school and hands me a little box and says, "pour toi" (for you). As a sixth grade teacher to kids from a latin culture I have seen this before and quickly refuse before they get too set on giving it to me. I don't accept gifts for many reasons:
  • my kids are poor
  • I am a government employee and I am sure it is illegal
  • speaking of illegal I don't want them to give me any stolen goods
  • most importantly I don't want the crap that they tend to give me, i.e. old hair baubles and bows, gum, used pencil top erasers, junk they find in the park, small ceramic kittens in Santa Claus hats etc
This little girl thinks that I am not understanding her so she keeps pushing the little box on me, so finally I relent realizing that it won't kill me to put a used Sponge Bob eraser on my pencil and appear to cherish it so as to make nice and bridge the cultural gap. I take the box and give Fatime a hug and say thank you. Then I open it.....inside there is a ring and what appears to be a diamond perched on top!
I try to give it back, Fatime puts it on my finger and looks quite intent on keeping it there. I ask her if her dad knows she gave it to me. She says yes. I decide we have to start class and this has gone on long enough and that I will talk to her later. So I teach my class then when Fatime leaves I put the ring in the box and lock it up. I go and consult my Assistant Principal and my dean, they say "COOL, Keep it!" they are obviously really classy. Fatime sees me later and asks if I have lost the ring, she is very concerned so I take her back to my class where I have it locked up, she pulls it out and puts it back on my hand and tells me not to take it off or I will lose it. So I teach the rest of the day with this ring on my hand and four other teachers ask me if I am engaged.

Here is the thing...
She is from the Ivory Coast, known for a brutal diamond trade.
(As I am writing this I am afraid the UN is going to come and arrest me)
I am fairly certain the diamond is real based on some things she has told me.
I am morally opposed to owning or wearing a diamond because of the atrocities committed on children in the diamond trade in Africa. How ironic is it that the first diamond that I ever receive is from the exact population I am trying to protect with my stand against them?
Given that there was a huge miscommunication problem with the diamond ring, this could mean that I am engaged to some random African man.

So, what do I do? Anyone ever had to give back a diamond ring?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow you have some crazy cool stories. The only time I had to give back a ring is when a boy in third grade took his mom's wedding ring and brought it to school to give to me. I threw it in the trash and then felt bad and gave it back to him. I don't know what you should do. You obviously mean a lot to her. This is her trying to show you that. And it is obviously upsetting her when you won't accept her generosity. I would definitely start wearing it on the other hand though. ;)

Landon said...

I think it looks good...keep it. But maybe bring it up with her parents if they every show up to school. I definitely think you should start wearing it on the other hand though.

Naomi & Greg said...

i'm really no help but boy do i love your stories. we all owe you some token for the way you have impacted our lives.

Scott B. said...

Pawn it!

Teresa said...

I love that the sweet little French girl has become so attached to you. And I think the ring is very nice. I would totally keep it and wear it (not on your wedding finger). You will get over the slave labor that goes on in the diamond industry. Don't you have much bigger injustices to tackle in your NYC life?

Anonymous said...

That is a very nice ring, I say keep it and wear it on the other hand. You could have it evaluated or appraised, just to be sure if it is real.
I would contact her parents (if it's real) to make sure that they know that you have it and it is not missing from their stuff (stolen or an heirloom). I would express much appreciation to them for their generosity, she probably doesn't know its value. Maybe it didn't come from the Ivory Coast or slave labor. Teachers get gifts all the time, just usually not really nice ones, way to go on gettng a nice gift! Did she get to go to the Brooklyn Bridge?

Roger said...

No one has ever given me a diamond ring but it looked like to asked for opinions. Using that as a window of opportunity, here goes.
1. If you don't like gifts from your students, set a minimum value requirement. The ring probably works, even if it is cubic zirconia.
2. Continue to be very nice to Fatime.
3. Don't worry about the UN arresting you. They have proven that they do nothing but talk. Remember Iraq and Saddam.
4. Wear the ring to the temple on Saturday. Tell everyone that you eloped.
5. Stop whining about slave trade or start wearing paper clothes. Diamonds aren't exclusive in that department.
6. If you are engaged to some random black man, I hope his last name is Sbliwotjqoijgoajp and he raises goats.

Sue said...

First, get it appraised. If it's real, contact the parents to make sure it really was okay, and to thank them. Pretty sweet gift. Diamonds are a girls best friend- remember that from girls camp.

Lady Holiday said...

So, what happened??? If you still have it, I work with gemologists who could tell you if its real or not.

Tamara said...

"anyone had to give back a diamond ring", she asks...

that's such a loaded question that i'm LOVING.

ask carlynne if you're looking for an appraisal or a quick check on whether it's real. she works with diamonds now.

and uh... i know I'D love a diamond ring.
i'm just sayin...