Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Narrows in Zion

I hiked the Narrows with my young women’s group when I was 16 and my mom and sister said they wanted to do the hike this summer so I thought I would tag along. They both backed out and my little brother Bryce said he wanted to so we went.

We started at the trailhead 17 miles above the park. About ½ of the hike is walking in the river between two huge rock walls. As a 16 year old I was much more focused on just getting through the hike. As an adult I was able to appreciate how beautiful it is. It is truly unique and beautiful.

Little known fact about me: I am very scared of cows.
Toward the beginning of the hike, before we got into the canyon I was walking along looking down and when I looked up I was about 10 feet from the face of a giant bull. It scared me so bad. I think this fear comes from Young Women’s camp at big meadow. At that moment all I could hear in my head was Sister Fralick’s shaky voice warning about ferocious cows. She said “I would rather be up against 10 grizzly bears and a puma than up against one of those ferocious cows!” Amen sister Fralick!

If you plan on doing this hike, start early the first day so you can go swimming at your campsite before it gets cold and…BEWARE OF COWS.

4 comments:

Roger said...

Great pictures.
I hate cows too. That's why I eat them.

Alicia said...

That seriously looks so incredible. I am dying to do it too. I'm glad you got to do it with Bryce (although your claims of my backing out are false). It looks so beautiful. Can we plan for it again next year?

Out of all the wild animals out in that wilderness, I'm glad you were so cautious of the cows. They'll really get ya.

Poe said...

Wow, you took me back to big meadow for a bit...and I thank you for that. Sister Fralick and her shaky voice and the cows! I hope the bull was nice and left you alone. The pics are beautiful. I would love to do this hike someday.

Sue said...

I agree, lets put this on the agenda for next year. I would love to hike it with you and Bryce, and Evan can come and whoever else wants to. It is now officially one month since your last blog, I know you are busy, and Dad hasn't posted lately, but please post again. Thanks.