Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Winter


This Jacob growling like a lamb.

Hello there. So it has been over two months since I updated my blog and I feel that my only loyal reader (Mom) is getting hostile.

So as to keep things organized and accessible for my other loyal reader (Dad) I will write in a list.

1) I went to Utah for Thanksgiving and absolutely loved seeing the family. I was also able to hang out with a friend that I met in China, who convinced me to go skydiving in Ogden. For those of you who did not know, I am deathly afraid of heights and continue my life long quest to conquer that fear. So we drove up and they dressed me up like a road cone and then we got into this tiny plane with about 15 other divers who were all kind of nutty. When we got to 13,000 feet they all started jumping and the guy I was strapped to started pushing me toward the open door. I was SO scared but once I got to the door and the guy threw us both out of the plane it was a lot of fun. I had a blast and I can cross one more thing off of my list of 100 things I have to do before I die. Since I crossed that one off I have been looking into how to get to Antarctica and where the Dalai Lama is touring this year. New Years resolutions can be pricey.
2) I have seen many shows since I have been here in NYC but I had never seen Les Miserables. I went and saw it at the beginning of December and it was fabulous! It is definitely one of my favorite shows. I just find the story and the characters so compelling.
3) I went to Germany for Christmas and spent some great time with Teresa and her five guys. We had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner of KFC and then a fun live nativity made more fun by Steven, Nathan and Jacob and their boundless energy. I was fortunate enough to play the part of the star again, only this time the star was merely perched on my finger instead of around my face.
As you can see in this picture the "wise men" were told to follow the star to baby Jesus. Jacob jumps right in and gets cozy with the baby, Stephen is merely enduring the play, and Nathan can't get his eyes off the star.
4) I got to play santa on Christmas Eve, and these are the fruits of my labors.

5) One of my students guessed that I am 50 years old. (WRONG!!!)
6) Another of my students used the F word as an adjective in his essay response to the standardized test they took today. The answer looked at little like this, “cuz he was F#@%ing pissed off” the correct answer (the one they will get from the students in the suburbs) is “He was upset”
7) After the test today my kids asked me what a calf was. They have no idea what most of the things in this test are talking about. A huge problem for them is vocabulary acquisition. I read through the test today and thought “could I have passed this as a sixth grader?” The answer, of course, but I had two educated parents who spoke in and educated English my whole life. I was surrounded by educated and articulate English speakers, everywhere that I went. From the time I was born I was constantly acquiring vocabulary. Only about 3% of the whole school population has parents who speak English and far less than that have parents with more than 7 years of formal education. In short, I am voting for Obama.
8) My roommate Cristi got the five hour version of Pride and Prejudice from Amazon and I have determined that there is no better escape from the drudgery of inner-city middle school stress than a nightly visit to Jane Austen's little dream word where people are polite even when they are cross.
9) I bought a space heater and my Mom got me an electric blanket and some very warm pajamas. These have revolutionized my life and have made me a bit of a recluse.
10) I will write about my visit to Berlin within the week. Just FYI I find the place charming and would love to live there, I think I have a strange pull towards all things, people and places with traces of communism.

10 comments:

Danalin said...

I haven't clicked on your blog in a while because I figure that I am going to, once again, be met with disappointment. Today, though, I felt lucky! Such a great holiday season for you. Especially skydiving in Ogden. I'm proud of you, lady. Love the essay response!

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah!!! I really wasn't going to click on this because I am tired of being disappointed. Thank you!I love your life and am so happy that you are finally warm. I need to see Les Miz again, maybe in NYC. I feel bad for your students; I am not really a fan of standardized tests for that reason and that preparing for them takes the interesting things out of school. I did here some students from BHS at McDonalds today, they sounded just like the sentence that your student used. Why would you put the Obama comment in? Do you want a discussion with Dad? Mom

jessamyn said...

Another semi-regular reader, pleasantly surprised by your wonderful wit and sarcasm. Welcome back Jess. I'm sad and incredibly jealous I missed the skydiving.

jessamyn said...

I meant to write 'the return of your wonderful wit and sarcasm' :) I've always known you were witty and sarcastic -no surprise there.

Ashley said...

I loved that you mentioned the standardized testing. I gave my AVID class a standardized test to check their basic reading, writing, and math skills and I was shocked at the words they didn't know. The first time I said to a kid "seriously" and then felt bad for mocking his language skills.

Scott B. said...

Loved the write up. You are always funny and have so many crazy interesting things going on. It's great to hear about it all. I wish you could put your video of sky diving on here. It was incredible. Germany with the Hughes looks so fun. I'm also glad you are finally warming up and that Jane Austen can take you away from such a hard job.

Cordell said...

I'm a little hurt that I wasn't listed among the loyal readers - but seeing as how I haven't seen you in 5 or 6 years I understand.

When are you in Bakersfield next (I'm living here for the next couple months)?

Roger said...

I haven't clicked on your blog for a while either, cuz I get so (upset) that you don't share your wit as much as you should. Now my list.
1. Loved the "road cone" comment.
2. Never jump out of perfectly good airplanes.
3. Let's go to Less Miserable on Thursday night.
4. The Dali Lama is overrated, especially when you have me.
5. If not 50, how old?
6. Sarcastic? Had not noticed.
7. Isn't Obama a terrorist?
8. So you read Jane Austen to remind you of growing up in our house where people were polite even when they were cross.
9. I have been told that hard liquor also keeps you warm.
10. We missed the star for Christmas but I am glad that the Hughes got their turn.

Naomi & Greg said...

Yes, I too am a loyal fan but rarely post comments. I suppose I'm just another blog spy. I love to hear about your life. Really though...Obama...there are many other approaches to education and social remedies. ;)

Naomi & Greg said...

I too own the P&P A&E version and currently PBS is playing many of Jane Austins works...I think Sunday evenings. They are truly a breath of fresh air for me.