Saturday, March 3, 2007

Miss Desk

So I made it to Beijing despite the crazy bus driver’s best efforts to kill us all. I did get to see how the people of rural China deal with a car crash from my seat in the bus I could see the big crane lifting the car and aided by about sixty onlookers. No police tape, no concerns about safety and really no supervision. What will become of China when people learn how to sue?

So I got to Beijing and was promptly taken to my apartment. I live alone in a “nice” two-bedroom apartment south of Beijing in a little suburb called Yi Hai. The school that I work at is like a five-minute walk from my apartment and I get all my meals for free there. They are actually pretty good meals. The school is a HUGE private school with about 2,500 students. Many of the students live at the school and they all wear these great brown uniforms. I was hired to participate in a new program that gives the first grade students three classes with a foreign teacher each week. I have nine classes with about 30 students in each class. The students are, for the most part, well-behaved. They have a ton of energy, which, comes as no surprise because they are first graders. The other thing that makes teaching a bit difficult is something the Chinese call the “little emperor syndrome” which affects many of the little kids in China. Since China’s one child policy is still in place (although not as strictly enforced) it means that all the children in China are only children and not only are they only children, for this generation they are also only grandchildren which means they are used to being doted upon and cherished and well, spoiled so they get a little cranky when they have to share the attention of a teacher between 30 students. So far it is not too bad but every teacher that I have met in China says that this situation is a particularly difficult challenge, especially among the wealthier families. I teach 29 classes a week including two classes to the teachers.

On the first day of class they asked me to do a review of some of the vocabulary they learned last week. So I had the kids running around touching all their vocab words. Like the door, something blue something red, the blackboard etc. When I told them to touch a desk a bunch of them ran up and started touching me. I was really confused at first but it turns out that Jessica sounds very much like “desk” to a first grade Chinese student with a limited vocabulary. So now the students call me Miss Desk and I am sure they are very confused as to why my parents would name me desk. Mom, Dad and explanation? I will try to take some pictures this week but I don’t’ feel very touristy in Beijing.

In the meantime...here is a picture of one of Cui Guo Hua's nephews. I took it to show you all the famous Chinese split pants. This is the East's answer to diapers. Basically little kids wear pants that are split in the middle until they are potty trained. When they are little they just pee on the floor or on the sidewalk or wherever. They are potty trained a lot earlier here (I have been told) because they never learn to pee in their pants. The result, all the little kids saunter around with their bare bums sticking out and it makes me a little uncomfortable to hold the babies.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I don't know what to comment on first. I loved it all! Especially the split pants... could you send me a couple of pairs for Ambrose? I'm sure they will go over swimmingly in Hawaii.

Alicia said...

I don't get it. So the pants are split so that if the baby has to go to the bathroom, it just goes and it lands wherever? Even poop? That does not seem like a very good solution. I think they might want to re-think that plan.

I'm glad you made it to Beijing and back to civilization. Your own apartment and meals that are pretty good? Sounds fantastic! I guess you can deal with being called desk for all of that.

Jessica said...

Yes, it lands wherever. A fascinating invention to be sure. I was shocked at first when the baby started peeing all over the floor and nobody acted at all surprised they just went and grabbed the mop.

Stephanie consider your pants ordered!

Stephanie said...

Score!

Sue said...

It sounds like you have a great life in Bejing, even though not so culturally Chinese. The little emporer syndrome made me smile, I told Dinah Redford and she said they have some of that at Tevis. When Grace was here (she's from Taiwan) with her boys, she used diapers. There was an elasic band around the baby's waist, the diaper was folded in thirds and tucked in front and back, like a sumo wrestler. It worked well except, I'm sure, for blow outs.
Hope you have a wonderful week.

Sue said...

That baby is sooo cute! I love the clothes!

Ashley said...

I love the little baby's outfit! He is so cute! I think you should marry a Chinese man so you can have cute kids like that.

Soo said...

I agree with Ashley. You should marry a HOT asian guy if you can find any.

Guess what? I am disease free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even though I am still crazy, but I can live with that!

Hope you are having a wonderful date tonight with a cute Chinese guy!

amy said...

hey jessica. your story about the split pants reminds me of that one time when you saw a business woman whip out a plastic bag and relieve herself on a crowded subway car. do you remember that? sick.