Monday, February 12, 2007

Adventures in food..

So I consider myself a fairly adventurous person and not a wimp about most things. Rural China has challenged that perception in so many ways. One of those ways is the food. Cui Guo Hua likes to have me try new things, which works out really well sometimes and really not well at all sometimes.

The other day we ate these big black worms. Well they were black because they had been roasted but they had a crunchy outer shell and were white and soft inside. The insides were the consistency of tofu with very little flavor. I ate two of them and was not totally disgusted but would probably not order them again.














One of the favorite dishes here is chicken soup. Basically, you put a large bowl of chicken meat and chicken broth over a flame in the middle of a table and then order all the things you want to put in the soup separately. The waitress brings out little plates of raw potatoes, tofu, cabbage, carrots, radish, onion, noodles, etc and you throw them in the broth and fish them out when they are cooked to your liking. The chicken that they put in it is prepared by taking the feathers off of a chicken, but leaving the skin on and then marinating it and then taking a cleaver and chopping it into pieces and throwing it in a bowl. So the pieces of meat contain, fat, bone fragments, cartilage and pieces of lots of different organs. One of the great treats is the chicken head. When you look down into the soup the only parts of the chicken that are really identifiable are the head and the feet. I have not worked up the courage to eat the head yet, but I will.














I guess it is a very western thing to not want to look into the eyes of the food you are eating because I am always surprised when the fish comes out still intact with the eyes looking at me. This place is a barbeque place where they bring out different types of meat on skewers and you roast them over coals that are in a hole in the middle of your table.















So breakfast is one of the few things in my life that are currently completely out of my control. I live with the Hui family and either Mr. or Mrs. Hui prepares my breakfast and they call me in at about 7:40 every morning to eat “zaofan.” I trudge with dread to the kitchen to see what awaits me. Sometimes it is great. There is ”porridge” that is the consistency of oatmeal and I think is more like cracked wheat or something. It has no taste but is hot and great for breakfast. They choose to flavor it with salt and vinegar. I usually eat it plain. Other mornings we will eat sautéed onions and bell peppers and meat. They are all dripping in oil. We also eat a lot of seafood, the type that are little sea creature (you can tell by the taste) that still have their feet and eyes on them and you just watch them swim around in your soup. Breakfast is usually very salty and very oily. It is definitely an adventure. Sometimes we just have steamed bread. They are balls of bread the size of a baseball that you put in a steamer until they cook. Nobody has ovens around here so that is how they cook the bread.

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

that's still how i cook my bread. . . and reheat my food. . .

Soo said...

Ewwwwwwwwwww!

you probably had the same reaction towards some korean food that i tried to force you to eat.

Teresa said...

Wow! Considering the fact that I am full from dinner right now, and pregnant, that was a very difficult blog for me to read. It all sounds terrible, but it seems you are taking it like a pro. Way to go. You look great by the way.

Sue said...

I thought I was adventurous about food, too, but I guess not. I cannot imagine eating some of that.It sounds like Fearfactor. I am happy that you are expanding your comfort zone in so many ways. I agree, you do look great! Thanks for the great blog.

Ashley said...

Unlike Teresa I am starving right now and am not pregnant, but that blog was still hard for me to read. I am so impressed that you can handle that. Do you want me to send you some Lemon Pepper Seasoning? I think that would make the chicken head taste a little bit better.

Soo said...

Well.. what can I say after reading all the comments that's been said. Jess, I am glad that you are one of brave, culturally adventrous Allred people.

Natalie said...

Wow...I was eating lunch, but think I am done now. :-)

Hi Jessica- I have been reading your blog entries and they are great! I love living vicariously through someone else.

Alicia said...

Disgusting. I will agree that you look great and happy and for that I am happy, but I do not agree that it's cool that you have to eat all that nastiness. There is NO WAY I would even attempt some of that, especially for breakfast. Yikes!

laura said...

Whatever happened to egg rolls and sweet and sour chicken?

Roeckers said...

I had no idea you were in China. I just spent the past twenty minutes reading your most entertaining Blogs. I look forward to living vicariously through your adventures.

Glad to hear things are working out for you and that you are having a blast. You are very Courageous.